Digital Video Surveillance Policy
The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines for the placement and use of digital video cameras (“Cameras”), as well as the access and retrieval of recorded digital video images (“Video Records”) at the Cape Girardeau Public Library. Security cameras will be used where needed to discourage violations of the Library’s code of conduct, to assist Library staff in preventing the recurrence of any violations and, for the safety and security of Library staff, patrons, and their property.
Cameras may be installed in locations where staff and patrons would not have an expectation of privacy. Examples include common areas of the Library such as entrances, near book and media collections, public seating, delivering areas and parking lots.
Cameras will not be installed in areas where staff and public have a reasonable expectation of privacy, such as restrooms.
- Cameras are installed in selected indoor and outdoor locations around the building.
- A sign is posted at the Library entrance informing the public that Cameras are in use.
- Staff and patron safety is the first priority in any threatening situation. The protection of Library property from vandalism or theft is of secondary importance. Cameras will not be installed for the express purpose of monitoring staff performance.
- Selected staff will have access to the real-time monitors, although activity may be randomly monitored.
- Video Records are stored on the Surveillance back-up drives for a minimum of 30 days.
- No Video Records will be manually deleted.
- Selected Video Records may be saved indefinitely on media separate from the Surveillance DVR.
Access to Video Records
- Only the Director, or his/her designees(s) will have access to Video Records, which are maintained as digital video recordings on external storage hardware (the “Surveillance DVR”).
- The Director or his/her designee may produce a copy of Video Records at the request of law enforcement or if directed to do so by a court order or subpoena.
- Library staff shall refer all inquiries to the Director of his/her designee.
- Staff shall make no comments as to Video Records.
- All stored images and data Video Records are considered Library Records. Any request to view images and data are immediately acted upon by the Director or his/her designee as outlined in RSMo Section 182.817 (2).
Approved by the Board of Trustees of the Cape Girardeau Public Library this 19th day of November, 2015. Amended 6/30/2022.